Saturday, 25 April 2009

Breaking Dawn and the Twilight Saga: Review


This review contains spoilers...

Although, I'm mostly a fan of historical fiction when it comes to reading books, I also have an inclination to reading fantasy sometimes. I adored the Harry Potter series for example as well as the Lord of the Rings trilogy to name some of the most popular fantasy stories.

Sometime ago, I came across the name Twilight on a message board while browsing the NET. I was hooked by the story immediately and made it a point to look the book up. I became very keen after reading the summary of the first book and was intrigued to start reading especially because this was Stephenie Meyer's debut book and because suddenly it became highly popular due to the movie coming out. I bought and read the brilliant introduction book before I saw the movie. I fervently believe that books transmit much more emotion and are more enjoyable than watching movies and so I wanted to experience the emotional ride of fully reading it without actually knowing beforehand what was going to happen.

Throughout the whole series my favourite part (especially being a hopeless romantic), was Bella and Edward's relationship. I love how it evolved during Twilight, enhanced during Eclipse and reached its climax during Breaking Dawn (in several ways :P). New Moon is my least favourite book of the four mostly because of Edward's absence which lessened the brilliance of their relationship, although needless to say I really enjoyed it too.

Breaking Dawn was the cherry on the cake and despite other people giving it poor reviews, I really and truly enjoyed it. In fact, I finished it much earlier than I thought, it being a huge book. The first part is wonderful for those (like me :P) suckers for romantic and happy moments. As the book paced and entered into Jacob's POV, I began to like Jacob more and more. Jacob was not one of my favourite characters but I started to like him more and more in Breaking Dawn and he is in fact one of my favourite characters now. This was because he was being reasonable in the last book. He pissed me off in New Moon and super annoyed me in Eclipse but his reputation with me was saved during the brilliant Breaking Dawn :P. I also loved how Bella's character evolved throughout the series and I even liked her most in Breaking Dawn. As Felix told her, I think immortality really suited her :P. I'm not going to rant about Edward. I'll be a little biased him being my favourite character. :)

The third part of the book is the best part of the saga in my opinion. Meyer did an excellent job to round up the saga quite nicely and I'm still reeling with excitement due to its massive ending. ( I finished reading it about an hour and a half ago). I don't know what to say anymore, except I love Meyer's diction in the book. The intense descriptions created by her made me feel like I was really Bella rubbing shoulders with Edward's marble, strong own shoulder and Jacob's russet fur :P. By the way, as you may have well noticed, I can now safely say that I have become a proud fan of paranormal romance.

I'm sure this review did not do any proper justice to the wonderful saga which I'm already starting to miss like crazy but it's a miniscule part of the praise it deserves from me. A message to all those who did not read these massive books... do yourself a favour and read them. Why anyone would choose to skip them and wait for the movies to come out is beyond me but that's just my opinion.

On to another book :)... Most probably, this time it will be a historical fiction. Can't wait :)

Ta ta xxx :) See you later :)

3 comments:

  1. I too am a lover of Historical Fiction but these books turned me on to Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy. I loved these books, and was pleasantly surprised by that. A few months after reading these, I have read (listened too) the 8 Sookie Stackhouse (Urban Fantasy) novels and loved them and am now working my way through Christine Feehan's Dark Series (Paranormal Romance). So you see the journey that Stephenie Meyer's took me on has been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alaine for the comment.. I will check out some of the paranormal romance books you suggested. Thanks once again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. a very good review! even though I'm not that into paranormal stories, this review strikes my attention & interests anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete